Thank you for your message. We will contact you shortly.
U.S. Corporate Bond 1-10 Year Ladder
1-10 Year U.S. Corporate Bond Ladder seeks to provide current income and regular maturities by building an equal-weighted portfolio of high-quality corporate securities that will be typically held to maturity or sold as they reach minimum maturity.
Asset class: Taxable fixed income
At a glance
|Benchmark||Bloomberg 5-7 Year Corporate Index|
|Number of positions2||18-22|
|Maturity range (years)||1-10|
|Credit quality range||AAA to A-|
|Average credit quality target||A|
|Maximum position exposure1||10%|
- Build a corporate bond ladder based on the designated maturity range
- Monitor credit worthiness of portfolio positions; no active trading unless warranted by credit events or client cash flow needs3
- Maintain designated maturity of the ladder by purchasing new bonds at the longest available maturity in the range to replace those that mature or are sold as they reach the minimum maturity
- May invest in callable bonds, which if called prior to maturity, with required reinvestment of proceeds to maintain the composition of the specified ladder
1. At time of purchase.
2. Concentration in a small number of holdings may increase risk exposure. A $250,000 account in these strategies may hold 18-22 individual bonds, depending on the strategy, under normal circumstances. The number of bonds may vary and may be greater or fewer based on factors such as account size, client transactions and market conditions. Accordingly, one or more individual bonds may each represent greater than 10% of the account. A decline in value of any one or more individual bonds may have a material impact on the account value.
3. This strategy does not utilize the opportunistic and more active trading approach found in certain other Nuveen bond strategies. The laddered strategies are not designed for cash withdrawal where account balances drop below $250,000. Minimum account size is $250,000.
A separately managed account (SMA) is a private portfolio of actively managed, individual securities that may be customized to achieve an individual investor's unique objectives.
SMA accounts typically require a minimum investment of $100,000 for equity and asset allocation strategies and $250,000 for fixed income strategies, although the specific minimum account size varies by program and may be subject to change. The manager may waive these minimums based on client type, asset class, pre-existing relationship with client and other factors. For certain accounts, a negotiated minimum annual fee applies. Please consult with your Nuveen Advisor Consultant for applicable minimums.
These strategies are only provided through separately managed accounts program sponsors. Check with your financial professional for specific product availability and performance information. This information may change without notice. From time to time, we may close or reopen strategies.
The proposed strategies’ target characteristics are subject to change without notice. Please note that laddered strategies may not lend themselves to certain types of customizations including, but not limited to: sector restrictions, requests to replace individual bonds, and certain client trading such as tax sales. The laddered bonds will typically be held to maturity in the absence of material credit events, contributions/withdrawals and calls. Initially, Nuveen will purchase individual bonds that are given equal weight, with differing maturities across the specified strategy maturity range. The maturity range is typically segmented into 1 year ranges ("rungs"). Nuveen will typically purchase 1-2 bonds in each rung creating a "ladder" of individual bonds. As bonds mature (or are called) and cash is generated in the account, Nuveen will purchase additional bonds in the longest available rung within the strategy's bond maturity range.
A word on risk
All investments carry a certain degree of risk and it is important to review investment objectives, risk tolerance, tax liability and liquidity needs before choosing an investment style or manager. Debt or fixed income securities are subject to credit risk and interest rates risk. The value of and income generated by debt securities will decrease or increase based on changes in market interest rates. Credit risk refers to an issuer’s ability to make interest and principal payments when due. Bonds may be callable, which may increase the interest rate risk exposure in the portfolios. Upon call, a client may be confronted with a less favorable interest rate environment than the one that existed when the original bond was purchased.
Nuveen Asset Management, LLC is a registered investment adviser and an investment specialist of Nuveen, LLC.
You are on the site for: Financial Professionals and Individual Investors. You can switch to the site for: Institutional Investors or Global Investors
Not registered yet? Register