This site has been created for exclusive use by institutional investors only and does not take into account investment objectives, financial situation or specific needs of any individual investor. Information should not be the sole basis for any investment decision.
If you are not an institutional client, consultant or financial professional and are looking for more information about mutual funds and other products at Nuveen, please visit our site at www.nuveen.com.
Past performance is not a guarantee of future performance. All investments involve some degree of risk including loss of principal. Investment objectives may not be met.
By agreeing you are confirming you are being truthful, acknowledging you have read the information above and accept the terms and conditions set out with this site and meeting the intended audience requirement for this site. Not all content on this site is appropriate or applicable for the general public and we cannot guarantee consequences with the use of this information by unauthorized or unintended users. Content on this site may not be redistributed and is for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment advice or provide a solicitation of an offer to buy any security.
Investing in tomorrow's world: Real estate sustainability report
Our sustainability approach and review of our 2020-2021 achievementsWe integrate ESG throughout our real estate investment management process to help preserve and create value for our clients in tomorrow’s world. In this annual report, we explain our approach for managing the financial risks and opportunities associated with climate change and being a responsible property investor, whilst also highlighting our key awards and achievements over the past year.
2020-2021 awards and achievements
- Achieved 16 Green Stars in the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark
- Earned 14th consecutive EPA ENERGY STAR 'Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence' award
- Earned an A+ rating in latest Principles for Responsible Investment sustainability benchmark results
- Won 'Sustainability' award at the 2020 EG Tech Awards
- Named a 'Goal Achiever' by the U.S. Department of Energy
Managing the financial risks and opportunities associated with climate change and being a responsible investorWe recognise that the physical impacts of climate change will affect real estate values and that it is critical to develop an understanding of how, where and when these physical impacts will become financially material to an individual investment’s financial performance. In the report, we explain the following risks and our process for identifying, evaluating and protecting our real estate portfolio from them:
- Coastal flooding
- Temperature extremes
- Hurricanes and typhoons
- Severe storms
Investing in innovation to achieve better buildingsTo achieve our ambitious sustainability goals, we must invest in the latest technology and be innovative in our approach. This is a core part of how we do business, and we are particularly proud of our role in supporting and promoting the innovations that champion health and wellbeing in buildings and use smart building technology to achieve energy efficiency.
Case study: cube, Berlin, Germany
This 17,500 sq m (188,000 sq ft) development project is an iconic prime office asset located in Berlin which was completed in June 2020. Designed to a high-quality, sustainable fit-out spec, the building has already achieved WiredScore ‘Platinum’ certification, one of the first assets in Germany to attain this, and is also expected to achieve a DGNB ‘Gold’ rating. The asset is a fully digitalised ‘Smart Building’, which includes intelligent heating, cooling and lighting systems, as well as offering a tenant app that can be used to create room bookings and for internal communications.
Priorities in 2021 and beyond
- Formalise our climate risk investment framework, including guidance on levels of risk that preclude investment.
- Roll out the priority sustainability technologies that we have identified in each asset class.
- Focus on tenant engagement and tenant data gathering – significantly increase the proportion of energy consumption data that we gather from tenants.
- Undertake assessments of the social value of major new developments and undertake a review of vulnerability to modern slavery and wage levels compared to living wage across our supply chain.
- Further develop our training programme to deliver more bespoke and advanced sustainability training across our business.
- Develop a route map to fully comply with the Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosure Framework.