We believe that alternative real estate, in particular some housing, healthcare and technology sub-sectors, are poised to play a larger role in institutional investor portfolios. They have the potential to increase portfolio diversification given diverse demand drivers and could generate outperformance relative to traditional real estate property types.
Login to access your documents and resources.
Housing sector demand drivers
Healthcare demand drivers
Technology demand drivers
Insights & news
Real estate Demographic shifts to fuel alternative housing demand
Shifts to alternative housing demand. The future of housing real estate.
Real estate Perspectives in today’s real estate market
Nuveen Real Estate’s market-leading global research team is working daily to understand and assess the impact of the coronavirus on real estate markets.
Real estate Telehealth and the future of healthcare real estate
COVID-19 has undeniably disrupted the healthcare system in the United States. As a result, healthcare-centric real estate will have an elevated importance in a post-COVID environment.
Discover our investment requirements.
- Single family housing: Detached home or residence rented annually which cater to families or individuals seeking a ‘home’ rather than an apartment that do not have either the means or desire to be a home-owner
- Manufactured housing: Purpose built communities, which confer the advantages of single-family home-ownership while also offering additional amenities at an affordable price point. Community owners will typically own and lease the land to residents, while the resident owns and manages their home
- Self storage: Individual units that can be rented to consumers for short or long term storage. Storage units, on average, occupy a 10x10 space (100 sq ft), but with significant variation
- Student housing: Purpose-built student housing facilities with modern amenities and walking distance to campus; focused on the top 100 universities with growing enrollment and limited supply
- Life science: Facilities that provide space for research institutions, pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology firms and medical device companies to conduct research & development
- Medical office: The university of medical office is constantly evolving and includes product types such as urgent care, surgery center, dialysis centers and freestanding ERs. Target product types: On-campus/Off-campus outpatient center, Medical fitness/wellness center, cancer center, Orthopedic center, Micro-hospital, post-acute care center and behavior health center
- Seniors housing: A variety of offerings within the seniors housing space include; Independent Living, Assisted Living, Memory Care and Skilled Nursing, segmented based on the level of services offered
- Data center: A data center is a highly specialized facility housing critical IT infrastructure for corporations, governments and other organizations. These facilities provide a highly reliable, secure environment with redundant mechanical, cooling, electrical power systems and network communication connections
Source: 30 September 2021