This site has been created for exclusive use by institutional investors only and does not take into account investment objectives, financial situation or specific needs of any individual investor. Information should not be the sole basis for any investment decision.
If you are not an institutional client, consultant or financial professional and are looking for more information about mutual funds and other products at Nuveen, please visit our site at www.nuveen.com.
Past performance is not a guarantee of future performance. All investments involve some degree of risk including loss of principal. Investment objectives may not be met.
By agreeing you are confirming you are being truthful, acknowledging you have read the information above and accept the terms and conditions set out with this site and meeting the intended audience requirement for this site. Not all content on this site is appropriate or applicable for the general public and we cannot guarantee consequences with the use of this information by unauthorized or unintended users. Content on this site may not be redistributed and is for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment advice or provide a solicitation of an offer to buy any security.
We believe that alternative real estate, in particular some housing, healthcare and technology sub-sectors, are poised to play a larger role in institutional investor portfolios. They have the potential to increase portfolio diversification given diverse demand drivers and could generate outperformance relative to traditional real estate property types.
Housing sector demand drivers
Healthcare demand drivers
Technology demand drivers
Insights and news
- Single family housing: Detached home or residence rented annually which cater to families or individuals seeking a ‘home’ rather than an apartment that do not have either the means or desire to be a home-owner
- Manufactured housing: Purpose built communities, which confer the advantages of single-family home-ownership while also offering additional amenities at an affordable price point. Community owners will typically own and lease the land to residents, while the resident owns and manages their home
- Self storage: Individual units that can be rented to consumers for short or long term storage. Storage units, on average, occupy a 10x10 space (100 sq ft), but with significant variation
- Student housing: Purpose-built student housing facilities with modern amenities and walking distance to campus; focused on the top 100 universities with growing enrollment and limited supply
- Life science: Facilities that provide space for research institutions, pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology firms and medical device companies to conduct research & development
- Medical office: The university of medical office is constantly evolving and includes product types such as urgent care, surgery center, dialysis centers and freestanding ERs. Target product types: On-campus/Off-campus outpatient center, Medical fitness/wellness center, cancer center, Orthopedic center, Micro-hospital, post-acute care center and behavior health center
- Seniors housing: A variety of offerings within the seniors housing space include; Independent Living, Assisted Living, Memory Care and Skilled Nursing, segmented based on the level of services offered
- Data center: A data center is a highly specialized facility housing critical IT infrastructure for corporations, governments and other organizations. These facilities provide a highly reliable, secure environment with redundant mechanical, cooling, electrical power systems and network communication connections