This site has been created for exclusive use by institutional investors only and does not take into account investment objectives, financial situation or specific needs of any individual investor. Information should not be the sole basis for any investment decision.
If you are not an institutional client, consultant or financial professional and are looking for more information about mutual funds and other products at Nuveen, please visit our site at www.nuveen.com.
Past performance is not a guarantee of future performance. All investments involve some degree of risk including loss of principal. Investment objectives may not be met.
By agreeing you are confirming you are being truthful, acknowledging you have read the information above and accept the terms and conditions set out with this site and meeting the intended audience requirement for this site. Not all content on this site is appropriate or applicable for the general public and we cannot guarantee consequences with the use of this information by unauthorized or unintended users. Content on this site may not be redistributed and is for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment advice or provide a solicitation of an offer to buy any security.
Think U.S. cities Q3 2019 outlook
The U.S. economy grew by 3.2% during Q1 2019, generating continued demand for real estate. Trade, consumer spending and an accommodative Federal Reserve drove growth in the first quarter, overcoming the negative effects of the government shutdown. We expect the U.S. economy to grow between 2.0% and 2.5% in 2019, but we are closely monitoring the escalating trade war, which could hinder economic growth. During the May 2019 Federal Open Market Committee meeting, the Federal Reserve kept the federal funds rate steady because inflation is running below their 2% per annum target. The federal fund futures market is pricing in a 73% chance that the FOMC will cut rates by the end of 2019. While this economic cycle is one of the longest on record, the consensus puts the likelihood of a recession this year at a modest 25%.1
Given this backdrop, we expect the U.S. real estate cycle to last at least another year if not longer, provided economic growth continues.
Economic and trade policy uncertainty in the U.S. will continue to define the pace of economic expansion of its second largest trade partner, Canada.1 Canada’s economy is expected to grow below the trend. The Canadian housing market should continue to strengthen due to restrained rate hikes, record-low unemployment rate and strengthening consumer sentiment.
U.S. real estate prices rose 2% in the 12 months ending March 31 2019, a modest increase relative to the past several years.2 We expect NOI growth to generate the majority of U.S. real estate total returns in 2019. The NFI-ODCE saw a total return of 6.55% net of fees for this same time period, with NOI growth accounting for 3.94%.3
2 Green Street Advisors, Q1 2019
3 NCREIF, Q1 2019
This material is provided for informational or educational purposes only and does not constitute a solicitation of any securities in any jurisdiction in which such solicitation is unlawful or to any person to whom it is unlawful. Moreover, it neither constitutes an offer to enter into an investment agreement with the recipient of this document nor an invitation to respond to it by making an offer to enter into an investment agreement.
This material may contain “forward-looking” information that is not purely historical in nature. Such information may include projections, forecasts, estimates of yields or returns, and proposed or expected portfolio composition. Moreover, certain historical performance information of other investment vehicles or composite accounts managed by Nuveen may be included in this material and such performance information is presented by way of example only. No representation is made that the performance presented will be achieved, or that every assumption made in achieving, calculating or presenting either the forward-looking information or the historical performance information herein has been considered or stated in preparing this material. Any changes to assumptions that may have been made in preparing this material could have a material impact on the investment returns that are presented herein by way of example.
This material is not intended to be relied upon as a forecast, research or investment advice, and is not a recommendation, offer or solicitation to buy or sell any securities or to adopt any investment strategy. The information and opinions contained in this material are derived from proprietary and non-proprietary sources deemed by Nuveen to be reliable, and not necessarily all-inclusive and are not guaranteed as to accuracy. There is no guarantee that any forecasts made will come to pass. Company name is only for explanatory purposes and does not constitute as investment advice and is subject to change. Any investments named within this material may not necessarily be held in any funds/accounts managed by Nuveen. Reliance upon information in this material is at the sole discretion of the reader. Views of the author may not necessarily reflect the view s of Nuveen as a whole or any part thereof.
Past performance is not a guide to future performance. Investment involves risk, including loss of principal. The value of investments and the income from them can fall as well as rise and is not guaranteed. Changes in the rates of exchange between currencies may cause the value of investments to fluctuate.
This information does not constitute investment research as defined under MiFID.