Thank you for your message. We will contact you shortly.
Impact framework and reporting methodology
Our impact framework
Based on engagement with our clients and evaluation of direct and measurable impact investment opportunities in public fixed income markets, we constructed our impact framework, that emphasizes four themes, to support a multitude of positive environment and social outcomes.
Theme: Affordable housing
- Increase availability of affordable housing globally
- Reduce rent burden to increase financial resources available after housing payments
- Increase access to home ownership for low- and moderate-income populations
- Increase availability of housing near transit options
Theme: Community and economic development
- Increase access to finance for small businesses
- Increase skills and knowledge to attain/sustain employment and livelihoods
- Improve availability of healthcare and medical services
- Create more inclusive and sustainable communities
- Sustainably increase farm productivity to improve rural livelihoods
- Reduce food insecurity
- Support recovery from disaster, conflict, or crisis
- Support macroeconomic development and institutional capacity building
Theme: Renewable energy and climate change
- Increase share of renewable energy in the global energy mix
- Increase energy efficiency
- Improve availability of sustainable transportation
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions
Theme: Natural resources
- Conserve natural resources and habitats, reduce deforestation
- Sequester carbon and reduce emissions
- Reduce waste, water usage, and pollution
- Improve sanitation and access to clean water
- Support sustainable food production
- Sustain rural livelihoods
Social and environmental impact data is sourced directly from issuer disclosures, covering the most commonly reported metrics under each theme for activities occurring in 2019. Impact shown here is not the result of the Strategy's capital alone, but rather shows the entire impact of the underlying investments.
Explore our latest impact insights
A word on risk
Because ESG criteria exclude some securities, investments in ESG-focused products may not be able to take advantage of the same opportunities or market trends as products that do not use such criteria. Investment products in general may be subject to market and other risk factors.
The investment advisory services, strategies and expertise of TIAA Investments, a division of Nuveen, are provided by Teachers Advisors, LLC and TIAA-CREF Investment Management, LLC. Securities offered through Nuveen Securities, LLC.